Welcome to crashthenet.ca
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Prust has hearing for elbow

rangers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Luc Wolfe

Luc Wolfe

THE FRENCH GUY!!!

• Administrators
  • 6,425 posts
  • Name:Luc
  • Xbox gametag:Luc Wolfe
  • PSN ID:lucwolfe
Posted Image

New York Rangers forward Brandon Prust had a hearing with the NHL on Sunday morning after he hit New Jersey's Anton Volchenkov in the head during Game 3 of the Eastern Final on Saturday.

Prust connected with an elbow to the back of Volchenkov's helmet shortly after the Devils' defenceman chipped the puck out of his zone in the second period. Volchenkov was down on the ice for close to a minute, but did continue playing. No penalty was called on the play.

"It was pretty hard, but I finished the game," Volchenkov told the Associated Press after the game. "It's not bad."

Rangers forward Carl Hagelin was suspended three games for a similar hit on Ottawa Senators' forward Daniel Alfredsson during their first round series. Alfredsson, however, was injured on the play and left the game.

Prust has one assist in the playoffs for the Rangers.

I think it's likely like a 1 game ban.
Luc Wolfe | Old School 1 vs 1 Commissioner  | e-mail | crashthenet.ca | lucwolfe.ca | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | LW Twitter | LW Facebook

Xbox Live Gamertag: Luc WolfePlayStation Network ID: lucwolfe | Founder & Creator of CTN Established in June 2006 (8 years of awesomeness)

signature_wolfe2.png

shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Xbox gametag:Shake N Baco
Hope he doesn't get anything. Tired of players not protecting themselves in today's NHL. Why doesn't he just take the hit? I really can't say if Prust tried to elbow him or he was just bracing for the boards at that point of throwing the hit. (And when you brace for the boards you get your elbows up.)

Yes, he got him in the head, but I don't think it was targeted or even intentional. Also if the player didn't turn he wouldn't have hit him in the head. A warning should do in my books.

Also "Rangers forward Carl Hagelin was suspended three games for a similar hit on Ottawa Senators' forward Daniel Alfredsson during their first round series. Alfredsson, however, was injured on the play and left the game." Really? I see almost nothing in common with those hits. The Hagelin hit was much worse. In fact 3 games wasn't enough for that hit. (Not much more, but I think at least 5 for those type of hits... Hate those heads soooo much.)

Alfie dodged the hit AND protected himself properly. Hagelin still went out of his way to hit Alfie. (Which is fine.) HOWEVER, he got the elbow up and went for the head. I had no question that he was doing whatever he could to get to Alfie and thus was a very, very different hit.

I think if Hagelin's hit only gets 3, Prust should get nothing based on those standards. That's just my take though.
Posted Image

rcb031

rcb031

2nd in command

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Xbox gametag:rob rcb031
as much as I like Volchenkov and HATE Prust, I hope he didn't get anything. Volchy did duck and turn his head after Prust committed to the hit. Nothing else he could have done

bechardsig_zpsb83c8bd0.png?t=1406413402

shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 728 posts
I actually like both guys. Probably like Volchenkov a little more, but I respect them both. (Just hate when they play the leafs because they are tough players.)
Posted Image

rcb031

rcb031

2nd in command

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Xbox gametag:rob rcb031
ah, just saw the replay again. not as clean as I though. He did stick out the elbow but I've seen much worse

bechardsig_zpsb83c8bd0.png?t=1406413402

Luc Wolfe

Luc Wolfe

THE FRENCH GUY!!!

• Administrators
  • 6,425 posts
way what doesn't Help Prust is that he Elbows Brodeur during the game. I think it's a 1 game ban, not because of the damage but on the number of occasions.
Luc Wolfe | Old School 1 vs 1 Commissioner  | e-mail | crashthenet.ca | lucwolfe.ca | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | LW Twitter | LW Facebook

Xbox Live Gamertag: Luc WolfePlayStation Network ID: lucwolfe | Founder & Creator of CTN Established in June 2006 (8 years of awesomeness)

signature_wolfe2.png

shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 728 posts
Yeah, but you can't suspend players for separate actions sadly. Not saying they shouldn't but they aren't suppose too.

If they could some players would be suspended every game. (Malkin would be suspended any game the Pens are losing in.) Oh. for the record I stated I don't think Prust should get anything, but I do think you'll be happy to know that he probably will get a game.

For the record of elbows though, what about Brent Burns first round? That way as much worse hit and he got nothing. There was also another elbow in that game that hit Mcdonald in the head that was worse and I forget who it was but he got nothing. (Also hitting a star player.) No matter what the ruling is it's ridiculous based on the way suspensions are handed out so inconsistently.
Posted Image

Luc Wolfe

Luc Wolfe

THE FRENCH GUY!!!

• Administrators
  • 6,425 posts
He got a game!

signature_wolfe2.png

shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 728 posts
Too be fair I did forget it was Prust. It's not like he was a star player like Burns who has a bad history for elbowing and got zero games.

Burns:

http://ca.sports.yah...-031756014.html

I didn't know you could blantly go for the head with your elbow and get zero games for it... Even if you have a history I guess if you are a star it doesn't matter. I wonder what would happen if Nichol stayed down on the play...

Galiardi:

While not a huge elbow he did target the head and lift up. Giroux did this and got a game and he is the best player in the world right now. Mcdonald is the star forward of the blues who got hit, but once again he got up right away and thus no penalty. What would happen if he stayed down?

I'm tired of suspensions seemingly punishing whether or not the player stays on the ice for any length of time rather than the hit itself. I'm not even saying this plays are the most vicious I ever saw, but they we're suspendable offenses. I know players are tired of it and as a fan I am too. You don't know what is or isn't going to be a suspension... I think this is also why you constantly see players going down the tunnel after a bad hit to try and draw the suspension.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rangers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users